These guys are sick! Billed as a band who’ve been likened to The Descendents (but at their sludgiest) they call to mind bands like Pissed Jeans and The Jesus Lizard. And do they!
They have an album due out in a week or so - you should get it.
Tell ya what, the Bristol hardcore scene is fair brisling atm. We more or less sold out the Louis last night for Wolf x Down and Benchpress. Quite an achievement for a Monday night. And yeah, not everyone was there to kill each other. For a change. Despite there being cameras in the house recording it for a laugh. Although there were still a decent enough amount of tears and scuffles that could quite easily have broken down into full on fisticuffs (but thankfully didn’t).
All round a fucking top night anyway. BENCHPRESS in particular impressed (though to be fair no less so than Wolf Down, just that I’ve seen Wolf Down before so I know how tight they are).
Oh yeah, it’s time I posted a list of some of my albums of last year. Wouldn’t do this normally as these things are fucking ridiculous (for obvious reasons) but I had to do my top 50 (ish) albums for Louder Than War (on account of it being good SEO) so thought I may as well bung them on here.
My main personal incentive for doing this def aint SEO related, it’s to try to make every other website / blog who does similar to think about their policy of only really selecting white guitar band / electronic artists in their lists of top albums of the year. Coz that fucking sucks. Anyone who can’t think of one great reggae album of the last year doesn’t deserve to call themselves a music fan imo. Same with metal, African music, folk etc. etc. etc. (Yeah, I know that’s a bit harsh and will probably alienate EVERYONE reading this coz you probably none of you have listened to a reggae album since that lame Nirvana covers album a couple of years ago, but fuckit). That accusation rings double true to those of you who ever listened to Peel.
As I have my natural proclivities regarding music giving the below a meaningful order isn’t something that I’d be able to do, so lets just leave them clumped into their general categories … segregated as it were, the irony of which aint escaping me! Knock down those barriers yo! Or just stay confined in your sorry little niches.
Of course if you’re desperate to listify the below I recommend you cross reference with the 3 sections of the Louder Than War #aoty list:
Louder Than War’s Albums of the Year 2013: 150 -101
Louder Than War’s Albums of the Year 2013: 100 - 51
Louder Than War’s Albums of the Year 2013: 50 - 1
BOOM! And we’re off…
1. Gorgon Sound vs Dubkasm - The Versions E.P.
2. Alborosie - Sound The System
3. Black Roots - On The Ground In Dub
4. Cornell Campbell - New Scroll
5. Full Of Hell - Rudiments of Mutilation
6. Malevolence - Reign Of Suffering
7. Watain - The wild Hunt
8. Altar Of Plagues – Teethed Glory And Injury
9. Tamikrest - Chatma
10. Bassekou Kouyaté & Ngoni Ba - Jama Ko
11. Mulatu Astatke Sketches Of Ethiopia Jazz Village
12. The Full English - The Full English
13. Southern Tenant Folk Union - Hello Cold Goodbye Sun
14. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
15. Prurient - Through The Window
16. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
17. Young Echo - Nexus
18. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
19. Dan Friel - total folklore
20. Hacker Farm - The Outer Church
21. Kanye West - Yeezus
22. Death Grips - Government Plates
23. clipping - midcity
24. MIA - Matangi
25. Buggsy - The Great Escape Season 2
Noise / Rock
26. Melt Banana - Fetch
27. The Pirate Ship Quintet - Rope for No-Hopers
28. Thought Forms - Ghost Mountain
29. Pissed Jeans - Honeys
30. Black Pus - All My Relations
31. Foot Village - Make Memories
32. The Body - Christs, Redeemers
33. Gnod - Chaudelande
34. Pharmakon - Abandon
35. Touche Amore - Is Survived By
36. RVIVR - The Beauty Between
37. Rival Mob - Mob Justice
38. Paramore - Paramore
39. Wolf x Down - Stray From The Path
40. Self Defense Family - Try Me
41. Nails - Abandon All Life
42. Weekend Nachos - Still
43. Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
44. Joanna Gruesome - Weird Sister
45. Talulah Gosh - Was It Just A Dream?
46. Oliver Wilde - A Brief Introduction to Unnatural Lightyears
47. Joanna Gruesome - Weird Sister
48. Blind Lemon Jefferson - The Rough Guide To Blues Legends: Blind Lemon Jefferson
49. Melt Yourself Down - Melt Yourself Down
50. The Ex And Brass Unbound - Enormous Door
There were many near misses, a few of the more notable are below:
War Wolf - Riding With Demons
Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat
DJ Rashad - Double Cup
Satelliti - Transister
Dean Blunt - The Redeemer
Annette Berlin - The Playground 2013
A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP
Wolf Down - Stray From The Path
Cult Of Luna – Vertikal
Incendiary - Cost of Living
Terror - Live By the Code
An thoughts gratefully received, esp if those thoughts include stuff I missed / haven’t heard yet.